Ask Not What The World Can Do For You, But What You Can Do For The World

A look into the past and the present.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The Issue of Citation

Well when I first read this question I think how hard is it to simply cite an author? To paraphrase an author without citation is to take away credit from not only the author, but respect for yourself in being able to share your thoughts and show off your intelligence. Why would it be necessary to bend the rules, maybe I'm not thinking outside of the box or a way that I can make life easier, but when it comes to school work I am a perfectionist and to bend the rules just in order to save time I would not take credit without citation.

Does the question come down to ethics? Those who are willing to bend the rules in order to have a great grade would then be willing to bend the rules on something else in my opinion, but I understand that this question is being addressed to and not the other people. When it comes down to it I would not put the paragraph at all because then I would be winning both ways. I would not have to deal with the guilt of not citing the author and I would not be paraphrasing so that I would have to cite. If it were possible to create a paragraph of my own thoughts and opinion I would so rather than paraphrasing.

I do not believe if there was not enough time to even simply cite an author then I would not have time to do the paper as a whole. It truly is a tough question though because it comes down to a great grade or the ability to say that you have not stolen the words from another writer. To get the good grade sounds wonderful, but I would simply read enough information to come up with an opinion for then I would not be taking any one person's ideas and opinion.

Say I were to use the author's idea without citation would it even be beneficial? Technically I would not even be benefiting myself because I would be proving to the teacher that I would not prepared to distribute my time in order to cite the author which would then become a habit being carried into college. Time should not be an issue and I understand that within the question it is, but I think that the time it takes to cite the author would take less time than writing your name on the paper along with its introduction. In result then, it is possible to cite the author.

The answer I therefore have for this question, as mentioned previously is no, it is not valid to paraphrase an author without citation in order to get a good grade on the key project of my class. It would take away the validity of my paper and the amount of time and thought I put into it. Now, I'm not saying I have not accidentally done this, but I would never purposely plan to not cite an author specifically when the words I used were completely out of my league and the idea was that in which I thought differently thst would just set myself up to have no opinion on the idea of the paper.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home